Mirror Sailing in WA

For Fun, For Competition, For Real ... ... the home of the Mirror Class Association of WA (Inc)

Forums & Classifieds

Forum Home > General Discussion > Super Spar Mast repair

Dmarco

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can at least ask about having an aluminium mast repaired.

Mine has been bent in a capsize incident involving the mast being tangled in rocks!

The section above the forestay and shrouds, ie unsupported is bent in a graceful curve, the section below that appears to be ok.

Hope someone can assist.

September 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rik
Site Owner

This is quite hard to describe as has to be done gently and worked into the center of the bend otherwise it will kink.

It may be able to be reworked by supporting the unbent areas and slowly working toward the center of the bend from either side.

The mast has to be well supported so it does not dent or crease when opposite pressure slowly applied in opposite direction of the bend.

If you are uncertain speak to a rigging/spars maker such as Taskers.

September 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dmarco

Hi Rik,

Thanks for your comments.  I managed to make it much better by the aid of 2 wooden uprights on our gazeebo and some rope! Its not perfect but as it was a bit bent before the "incident" it will do.  I'll have a test rig to make sure its ok for Mirror Sail.

September 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.